WhatsApp wants to give you more control over disappearing messages with new features. If you’re sending a message to someone on WhatsApp, you may not want those messages to stay forever on the recipient’s phone. It could be something potentially uncomfortable or compromising in the future, or maybe you just want to have an auto-delete option on your WhatsApp to keep things decent? After a certain time period, the messages go off to WhatsApp message forever, never to be seen again. That’s the purpose of WhatsApp Disappearing Messages, things will be discussed in this article.
WHAT IS WHATSAPP DISAPPEARING MESSAGES?
When you use the Disappearing Messages function, you can send a WhatsApp message to one of your contacts, and WhatsApp will delete it from both your device and the recipient’s device after a certain amount of time has passed. The time span is currently either 24 hours, seven days, or 90 days. At this moment, you are unable to set a custom time.
To make WhatsApp Disappearing Messages available to all of your contacts, follow these steps.
go to WhatsApp Settings—>Account—>Privacy—>Disappearing Messages. Select your desired time period. To enable the feature for only selected contacts, tap on their name at the top and choose Disappearing Messages. Select your desired time period. To see the function work, you may need to archive then unarchive the chat.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN, THERE ARE A FEW THINGS TO CONSIDER
Disappearing Messages is an optional privacy feature that you can enable.
You can set messages to disappear 24 hours, 7 days, or 90 days after they are sent when you enable Disappearing Messages. Only new messages in the conversation are controlled by the most recent selection. This option will have no effect on messages you’ve sent or received in the conversation. In a private chat, each person can enable or disable disappearing messages. Any group member can enable or disable vanishing messages in a group chat. A group admin, on the other hand, can adjust the group settings to allow only admins to turn off or on disappearing messages.
- If a user does not open WhatsApp during the next 24 hours, 7 days, or 90 days, the message will be lost. However, until WhatsApp is opened, the message preview may still appear in alerts.
- The original message is quoted when you reply to a message. If you reply to a disappearing message, the quoted text may or may not remain in the conversation after the time period you specify.
- If a disappearing message is forwarded to a conversation where disappearing messages are disabled, the message will not disappear.
- If a user generates a backup before a message vanishes, the backup will include the vanished message. When a user restores from a backup, all messages that have vanished will be removed.
Note: Only send vanishing messages to people you trust. It is conceivable, for example, for someone to:
- Save a vanishing message by forwarding it or taking a screenshot of it before it vanishes.
- Before the content of the vanishing message vanishes, copy and save it.
- Before a fading message vanishes, take a photo of it with a camera or other equipment.
Disappearing messages for your account
For all new individual chats, you can turn on disappearing messages by default.
- iPhone and Android: Go to WhatsApp Settings > tap Account > Privacy > Default message timer and select a duration.
How to send WhatsApp Disappearing Messages (Android and iPhone)
To begin, you must turn on the feature, which can be done in one of two ways. You can turn it on for all future chats with a default timer, or you can turn it on solely for individual contacts with a timer set for that person.
To enable it for all new chats with a timer by default, go to Settings—>Account—>Privacy—>Disappearing Messages.
Now select the time period you want to have.
To use it on an existing chat, you must first archive it, then restore it from the archive. The Disappearing Messages icon will now appear next to the contact photo, along with a new message indicating that the feature has been enabled. Keep in mind that the other person will be able to see these things as well, so you won’t be able to hide the fact that you’re nuking texts.
If you only want Disappearing Messages for specific contacts, go to that contact’s profile and tap on their name at the top of the screen.
Scroll down to Disappearing Messages and tap on it.
Now choose your desired time period as before. You may have to archive and unarchive the chat before seeing the feature appear on the screen.